Mupirocin is used to treat certain skin infections (such as impetigo). It is an antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of certain bacteria.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet if available from your pharmacist before you start using mupirocin and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Use this medication only on the skin. Clean and dry the affected area first. Then apply a small amount of ointment to the area as directed by your doctor, usually 3 times a day. You may cover the treated area with a bandage. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Continue to use it for the full time prescribed, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may result in a return of the infection. Avoid using this medication around your eyes, nose, mouth, or on large areas of damaged or broken skin unless otherwise directed by your doctor. If you accidentally get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse well with plenty of water. Tell your doctor if your condition does not get better in 3 to 5 days.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects. Although uncommon, mild burning or stinging after using this medication may occur. If you have severe burning, stinging, or irritation, stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away. This medication may rarely cause a severe intestinal condition (Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea) due to a type of resistant bacteria. This condition may occur during treatment or weeks to months after treatment has stopped. Tell your doctor right away if you develop: diarrhea that doesn't stop, abdominal or stomach pain/cramping, blood/mucus in your stool. Do not use anti-diarrhea or opioid medications if you have any of these symptoms because these products may make them worse. Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a new skin infection caused by fungus or yeast. Tell your doctor right away if you notice signs of a new infection, or if your current infection does not get better or if it gets worse. A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing. This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist. In the US - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch. In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Store at room temperature. Keep all medications away from children and pets. Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.